When people find out I foster labs till they receive 'forever families' almost always they say, I can't do that. It would break my heart to lose them, I would grow attached or simply don't you want to keep them all?
In the end I answer the same. Every time.
Nope, it doesn't hurt. Not in the my heart is sad and I regret my decision kind of way. I view myself as a funnel to get them from one place to another, to help them become a bit more whole again.
Buddy arrived last Sunday morning.
Buddy ran away within 1 hour of being outside in the outdoor run I have fenced in. It took 8 neighbors to catch him and bring him back. I was crushed.
I am away from the house more than 12 hours a day with commuting and work, so I rely on the foster dogs to adapt to life outside, with Ginger in the fenced in area. It was clear Buddy couldn't do that. Day 2 he bolted out the front door and came back an hour later. That day was the day I went to work, Monday, and when I got home the dogsitter let me know that Buddy has torn his way out of the metal crate in the house (my only option).
Plan B. Plastic crate. Tuesday I come home to find blood all along the inside of the doorway of the crate, so much so it dripped on the floor. And I knew what I had to do. He wasn't safe or happy here and that's what it's all about. He's an incredible dog, so sweet, so kind, best one yet in temperment.
This morning I dropped Buddy off at his next temporary home. A kennel.
And that is when fostering really really hurts.... when you fail them. More than a few tears were shed as I drove away.
(many of you likely thought I was going to be writing about how referrals for my LID came out this week and how it passed me by. I can't write about it. I barely think about. When I do it hurts far too much.)
7 comments:
Know I am thinking of you.
I think of you often... hugs
I'm sorry Lisa. So very sorry.
I'm sorry that things didn't work out for you and Buddy. I know how devoted you are to your pups.
You know how I feel about everything else. I thought of you often this week.
it just doesn't seem fair. There are other blogs of single moms still in line for babies from China.. I just don't understand. :( many many prayers for you.
I don't think you failed Buddy. Many times they have been injured or not cared for well in some way in the past that it's not easy for them to be helped. Some people are like that too - hard for them to accept help/be helped.
Anyway...L, so sad about your LID and the colossal unfairness/craziness of that.
So sorry. Know you are in my thoughts for so many different reasons.
Post a Comment