Friday, April 08, 2011

Never Ending projects

The Kitchen:

here's the scoop. I am lazy and on top of that my motivation can be derailed when life derails. it's true. I started the remodel in early May (2010) thinking I would have it done before Magpie came home. I demolished what needed demolishing all by myself :) I took down a wall of cabinets on my own too. Mom helped me with what I kindly refer to as the Maitre D stand and then it all came to a grinding halt... the adoption fell through. The reason for the remodel? 2-fold. I thought, no way in heck am I going to go without a dishwasher when Magpie comes home and I need a place like an island to roll out cookie dough with her... seriously. Those were the reasons.

When the adoption fell through, so too did the remodel. It sat like that for nearly 4-5 months.

Then I started back up again, another set of cabinets off the wall with help from some of the guys I know, floors ripped up to place cabinets in their new spot, estimates from plumbers, electricians, ordering of countertops, buying tiles, etc. I learned how truly annoying drywall dust is and how thankful to be that I wasn't trying to get a surface looking good enough to paint. There was rehanging of cabinets that hasn't gone as planned... a section needing to be rehung again! I installed the base boards and trims to the floor cabinets now in their correct location.

And so I reached the point of this week. Countertops about to be measured, plumbing and electrical contractors in place and waiting in the wings and the walls ready for tiling when the countertops go in. It looks now about how it looked when I first started, sort of defeating in a way but I know progress has been made.

Now, where did I put that tape measure? More pictures to come as the project unfolds. I'll know it's done when the tools go back in the basement and I'm bringing barstools in from my car :)

1 comment:

HuluMama said...

Looks good!!!!! Can't wait to read the next post!