Thursday, June 29, 2006

A moment of silence, I mean B@#*ING about our neighborhood

I have been pulled out of my blogger hiatus to report a sighting of a butthead in the works.

So, as you can tell from the title, we 'strongly dislike' our 'neighbors' which is a bummer.

I have always, in ALL the different locations I've lived (9-10 different houses/rentals and nearly as many states), had neighbors who I've been close with. As close as families in some cases, eating meals together, swapping dog babysitting duties on weekends, help around the house (inside or out) when needed and so on. I always had the kind of neighbors who had keys to my house and vice versa. One of my neighbors from childhood was a reader at our wedding.

So, we now live in a neighborhood not so friendly, much of it very nice looking, not friendly though. We love this house, it's beautiful, inside and out and after 5 years we have lush landscaping we've spent years cultivating, the lawn is beautiful, not perfect but beautiful and thick, we take pride in our home.

Here's an example of our neighbors, the VERY same day we moved in, "carpool mom with the mini van" pulls up, here's how the conversation went.

Hi, my name is overly cheery carpool mom, what's yours.

We give our names.

Well, welcome to the neighborhood, do you have kids?

No, we don't.

Oh well, take care, we'll see you around. (haven't see her since. For those of you who never struggled having kids, this is a window into what it can be like on the outside of that part of society!)

Next came the neighbors to our left having their contractor use his truck, to drive down our side yard to unload building supplies in their backyard, while the ground was wet, 3-4 times we knew of, twice after we told them not to... the ruts are still there. They are also the same neighbors who logged a complaint with the local health department because we have 2 dogs who poop (we tried getting the non pooping variety but those litter mates were already taken), though we clean it up near daily, and they could smell it when it was fresh. Everyone has LESS THAN 1/8th of an acre of land... surprised we can't hear each other flush our toilets for goodness sake. We found out about the complaint during the homestudy... b'stards.

The only neighbors we did get to know moved 2 years after we got here, we had finally gotten to 'backyard barbecue neighbor' status. We were so bummed. They were replaced by the ignorants from he11, with a daycare, with an attitude and an ongoing inability to keep their cars on their driveway... as in ruts on the right side of our house... gotta love it. These examples are the tip of the neighborhood iceburg.

So why am I PO'd today... I'm mowing the lawn, I find bunches and bunches of weeds spread across our side yard and down to our backyard and in our backyard... not ones in the ground but having been pulled up from somewhere and thrown into our yard. Love this, cause we have wonderful landscaping and are the only people who weed their landscaping, we had even just done it. Ironic, I think not. Lastly, some b'stard decides it would be cool I guess to crush lightbulbs on our side yard. Yes, you read that right. So I clean up what I can find and start to get worried that someone did this to our backyard too, where the dogs play.

So far we haven't found any glass in the backyard, but I'm still worried. I'm so so disappointed at times about how incredibly disrespectful ordinary people can be to each other. As much as we've really disliked our immediate neighbors I would NEVER do anything to them, not even a prank. When their trash cans pile up in our backyard I return them, when their trash blows onto our yard, I put it in our can, we used to even snowblow some of this side of our street for other people. We've given up.

I wish I had some of my previous neighbors right now. The community you live in can really enrich your life at times, maybe again one day we can have that.

On a lighter note, to those of you guessing about the post below and our secret... ARE YOU CRAZY, another dog? No way! Not even close. I have a post in draft that will go out sometime tomorrow anouncing our big secret.

No comments: