Wednesday, July 05, 2006

a bit of quiet and calm is needed

AFter watching on TV yesterday and reading about the missile launches from North Korea, I would say the world is long overdue for a bit of peace, calm, conservatism and reasoning. Things like this scare me to the core.

When I was a child and heard a plane breaking the sound barrier (sonic boom) for the first time I was terrified. I never told anyone but I had nightmares for weeks afterward, that the US was bombed with an atomic bomb and that life was forever changed. I kept picturing Hiroshima over and over again in my head. I'll never forget that sound, those dreams and my pensive nature about that possibility.

During elementary school, my school system still did bomb drills, you know the kind, hide under your desk or congregate in the cafeteria... as if either would save you from a catastrophic blow. Years later they stopped the drills, but I imagine that at some point in the distant or not so distant future they will bring the drills back into the school system.

Everything old is in fact new again. Living life to the fullest is all about not letting paranoia get in the way. we hope to instill in Magpie a sense of natural curiosity about the world around her and an understanding that fear is paralyzing.

With regard to the events in Asia, involving many many nations (China, North Korea, South Korea, Japan, US, RUssia, UN, etc) we hope things rapidly move towards a resolution agreeable to all involved. Politics, economic factors, alliances, they all weave a very delicate web all too easily impacted.

Sorry, no massive happy thoughts, updates on the move or adoption updates. My mind is on the Sea of Japan. I am reminded time and time again that sometimes your own personal news and goings on just aren't that big in the grand scheme of things.

No comments: