Uhm, yes, I did grow up in upstate New York, and I did live in WV for 6 years... so I thought I knew what rural was. Apparently I did not know what the boonies was.
Our new house will have 3 acres of land, 1 cleared, 2 densely forrested. Me hoping for a nieghborhood and development just didn't pan out, but the school district is good :) and the house is beautiful. So, when we noticed deer, squirrels and the "normal" wildlife, even wild turkeys, I thought, Ok, I can deal with this, not sure how the dogs will do, but I can deal.
But uhm, well, I was NOT prepared for my first day at the new chemical plant. They have a guy who does amature photography with a digital camare set up to operate on infrared. The pictures are of red/grey fox, assorted overgrown 'rodents' that I've already forgetten the names of, mountain lions and bobcats.
Mountain Lions and Bobcats. Uhm, what?!
Hope Magpie isn't as freaked out as I am. Yeah, I know, the chemical plant is in a **more** rural location (LOL) but uhhm, bobcats? Mountain lions?
Did I mention our property backs to protected conservation land.
Mountain Lions?!!!!!! (slightly freaking out right now) Magpie will be one of the few adopted children from China to be walking around in Kevlar and motion sensor alarms.
5 comments:
My parents live closer to town than we do, and they had a bobcat walk through their backyard last week. They were sitting eating dinner and watched it walk through like it owned the place.
Being from the city moving here has been an experience. I love it. Ryan laughs at me when I am still amazed to see foxes, turkeys, & HUGE owls at night. We also have coyotes, but I haven't seen any of them. Deers once used to be a fun sight to see, now they are like squirrels just all over the place. They eat my bushes and plants and they are annoying. Except when the mamas come out of the woods with their babies. This year we have a mama with twins that must nest in our section of the woods. She comes out almost every evening, my nephews just loved watching for them.
Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble so. Enjoy the wildlife!
I love it! When I moved to Rural Missouri I went through culture shock big time. And believe it or night there were reports of mountain lions and bobcats and a bear or two here...in Missouri.
There are just as scared of you.....that is what everyone says...HA!
Sounds like your propery it outstanding. Hope the new job is working out. Hotel life... and just plain settling in.
Take care.
Jenn
I'm sure you'll get used to your new home and surroundings! Personally, I rather live in the country than the city - I could only handle city living for a mere 2 years and moved back out to a more rural setting. We love it - we're surrounded by grapes (sorry, not bobcats!).
Something else to keep in mind....all those critters love all the pretty flowers that you might want to plant at your new home. My sister has had to learn this the hard way. And plants the deer wouldn't touch in the past they love this year. Do a lot of research before you invest in a lot of plants. I hope your first week at work has gone well and you are "enjoying" your hotel life as much as you can considering. Have a great weekend!
Your April Secret Pal
THanks everyone for the advice and for sharing your experiences!
Post a Comment