Saturday, July 29, 2006

Coincidence... I thinks not

So, on Thursday night, the following broadcast wrapped up the nightly news...

Exxon Mobil Corp. earned a whopping $10.36 billion in quarterly profit during April-June, the second largest recorded by a U.S. publicly traded company. Profits of the Irving, Texas-based company rose 36 percent from a year ago.

So, nearly a record, what a bummer for the folks at Exxon Mobil to just miss with ONLY $10.36 BILLION in profits. Sad day huh. Only $10.36 billion, their year end bonus must really suck. Imagine if they made $10.56 billion, boy, they'd all breath a bit easier then. A billion just does't go that far anymore.

In other news, the following was also reported...

At the gas pump, consumers are paying a nationwide average of $3.00/gallon, almost at the all time high.

So, as I scratch my head, you mean there are nearly record profits at the oil company AND nearly record highs at the gas pump... wow... interesting.

Nice... coincidence or not... yeah, I know, you didn't have to think too hard on that one.

2 comments:

Polar Bear said...

We saw this on the news and couldn't believe it. So unfair!!

Dani said...

They are sharks and I would love to know how they are getting away with it! I was sick to my stomach when I heard what their profits were. How can anyone say that they are not price gouging? its crazy!!!!