Another weekend out of the hotel (thank goodness) as we went again to T&J's house to hang with them and our niece. Here's the latest scoop on life:
Dinner at E's Gram's house and saw quite a few family members. I met one of E's Uncles for the first time, we got to see some people we've not seen in a while and were honestly missing, there were also a few who couldn't make it which was kind of a bummer. Either way it was great to see everyone we did. We'll finally have the ability to take part in events in both of our families and we're grateful we were able to move and finally do this.
We went to a Christening too, it was wonderful to see M & P and their son being christened, it was beautiful. I won't kid you, it was also hard. This was my first 'infant' event (shower or otherwise) since our daughter died. Not a day goes by I don't think of Sophia and as we sat there in the church I thought about how old Sophia would be now, how big, what personality traits she would have... Both E and I agree, no matter what life brings our way in the future, disappointments, sadness, etc, it will pale in comparison to losing Sophia, we are so much more prepared for the sadness of life as a result.
I guess that's one positive to come out of her death. We've learned to just let things go in a way we weren't able to before, you know, when you tell yourself "in the grand scheme of things we've been through worse, does 'this' matter". You learn to just brush aside what might have been 'the end of the world' before. We've also learned to appreciate the good times even more, we know how fleeting those moments can be and how precious it is.
Anyway, this weekend we picked up some wonderful quilt squares from family. So many people put a great deal of thought and sentiment into either the fabric or the square or both. From the square of Scottish plaid, to the fabric from my Nana (through my mom), to the tiedye, the former quilt fabric from several people, the redsox and elmo, shirts and ties from departed loved ones, former uniforms... it's pretty amazing the thoughtfulness that went into Magpie's quilt squares. We appreciate each and every one of them, as will she I'm sure.
I'll take pics and post them later on this week like all the other squares. We are definitely winding down and know of a few holdouts who've mentioned they plan to send us something. It's going to be beautiful, but above all else, it will have a depth of meaning that few gifts in life ever achieve.
We also passed 4 months of waiting last week... rumors are anywhere from 12-18 months should be the wait. So we have anywhere from 8 to 14 months to go!
Last but not least, we close on our new home (fingers crossed) on Monday of next week. Hard to believe that we've been in here for 8 weeks. We've suffered a lot doing it, especially our health due to what happened in the hotel with the mold, but we're almost there.
2 comments:
I love your thoughts on gaining perspective. Sometimes I am guilty of letting the little things get to me.
Congratulation on finally getting to move into your new home!
A stronger relationship / being able to keep priorities in perspective; a bittersweet (and rare for this magnitude of loss) 'gift' that was left behind from losing precious Sophia...but paving the way for an amazinig Magpie. Keep hanging in there!
Hurray for the upcoming house closing deal!!
Post a Comment