Sunday, October 29, 2006

Hoity Toity Spam

What a miserable weather weekend, cold, rain, wind, strong winds, heavy rains... and as a dessert... power outage! While weathering the weekend we also celebrated our Anniversary with an incredible dinner at the Publick House. An absolutely incredible food feast.

We've always said, one of the best memories at our big June wedding, which took place at the Publick House, was the food. We opted for a buffet to give plenty of chances for unique and plentiful options. We were not disappointed! Picture me, in the full dress with the train hooked up all neatly, eye-ing the buffet... wanted to have 1 -2 ok, 3 of everything on the buffet. We were first in line and many could see what we were doing, but I don't think anyone really noticed me motioning to a waitress, pointing out to her my wishes and the plates of food she brought to the head table and actually hid behind the flower arrangement. I can honestly say I was neither the bride who didn't have a full slice of cake (I had 3) nor enjoyed dinner... trust me, the extra room that was in my dress at the start of the night was gone by the end!

So, being back at the Publick House for our 5th wedding Anniversary was nostalgic and a culinary feast. We enjoyed pumpkin cheesecake, white chocolate creme brulee, duck (for E), baked lobster pie (me) and we started with a bread basket that included cheese rolls, corn bread and can you believe it, sticky buns. Oh, soooo yummy. The rolls all baked in the onsight bakery, as I've said before worth the drive from our house on a Sunday alone.

So, what about the title? E says I should have taken a picture (the one shown is from an online search!)... I didn't, felt self conscious taking a picture of our food in a restaurant. But for appetizers we shared New England Clam chowder and a dish called Wild Game Terrine. I'm thinking it would be an assortment of wild game broiled, baked, etc with the (spicy and rich) cranberry/peach chutney (think salsa) on the side. What came..., well, looked like spam, fancy spam, with bacon wrapping the outside. I wasn't sure what to think.

But let me say, no matter how old you get, you cannot and should not, limit yourself to judging a book by it's cover... cause let me tell you, if that's what Spam tastes like, sign me up every night of the week. E too!


A terrine is an earthenware cooking dish with a tightly fitting lid. By extension, the term also refers to food prepared in a terrine, mainly brawn and pâtés.

You can learn something new every day...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

That sounds so YUMMY! Maybe if we would have gone to this place for our reception, I would have eaten! Happy late anniversary. We just celebrated our 5th on October 20th.

We are in upstate NY and are getting that crazy wind too. I am just glad that it is not Halloween yet, since the poor kids would completely freeze! Take care. :)

Anonymous said...

I remember the food....yummy!