One of the items E received for Christmas were cool drinks from his brother, Plum Wine, Saki and this variety of bottles, basically soda called Ramune. These were all selected based on E's love of the Asian culture when he was stationed there in the service. He spent quite a bit of time in Japan and all of these items remind him of it.So tonight he pulls the Ramune out, takes the top protective cap off and proceed for the next few minutes to figure out how to open the bottle. I've included pictures of it from Wikipedia. so I look at the bottle, I don't have a clue. There is a hard green cap under the protective cover you see and in the middle of it is a glass marble, filling the center hole. we are at a loss, so I look online at the only english word on the label "Ramune".
Sure enough, my old buddy Wikipedia has it, not only do they show pictures, but they tell you how to open the bottle:
Ramune (ラムネ, Ramune?) is a carbonated soft drink sold in Japan. It is widely known for the distinctive design of its bottle, often called Codd-neck bottles after the inventor, Hiram Codd. They are made of glass and sealed with a glass marble; the marble is held in place by the pressure of the carbon dioxide in the drink. To open the bottle, a device to push the marble inward is provided with the bottle. The marble is pushed inside the neck of the bottle
where it rattles around while drinking. Two little glass nodes inside the bottle allow the drinker to hook the marble in place while drinking. People trying Ramune for the first time sometimes find it difficult to drink, as it takes practice to learn to stop the marble from blocking the flow.It goes on to mention though the bottle is quite unique, the flavor is 'conventional', similar to lemon-lime drinks. They are correct, it was good, but the joy was the entertaining part of drinking while avoiding the marble jamming off the flow! It was a pretty cool bottle.
Ramune was introduce in 1876 in Japan.
There is a whole world out there folks... the one we live in and surround ourselves with is just the tip of the iceberg... one day it's soda bottles, the next it's points of view...
4 comments:
That is so cool! I wish my diet Coke was even half that interesting!
Great closing line, BTW...
Heyyyy - They sell those at the Asian marketplace close to where I work. I've wondered about those. hmmm!!
That is really neat. I'd love to have some 1) because they're different and interesting 2) because I would have evil fun watching my guests trying to figure it out ;0)
I love this drink. IT was one of my favorites when we lived in Japan! Hope Eric enjoyed!
Post a Comment