Sunday, February 04, 2007

And the ALT love continues


Yup, another installment of ALT love. I believe this is part 3.

Another 4 squares again for this post. So many of the ALTs have sent personal emails in the early days of the swap and well, I didn't. Though I loved getting them I am hoping that people see their square here and realize that posting it here was really important to me. This will be printed and bound for Magpie one day and she'll know how I felt when we received the squares.

The first reminded me of the one we received from an Aunt and Uncle. My Aunt sent us 3 squares and had quilted together peices of fabric to form a larger square, it was cool. Here, they've stitched on a square of fabric with the word "ALT's", the pattern ensures that their square will be on the outer ring of the quilt, the part that's keeping the 'square' shape. They wished Magpie Authenticity, to celebrate her uniqueness, to find friends who appreciate her, I couldn't have said it better. If I had to list the things we wish for Magpie, these thoughts we be there.

The second square is such a cool cool combination of colors, that all too hip aqua blue and brown, I've only recently realized how well they balance and compliment each other. The wish is about believing, confidence in yourself and the quote "What lies behind us and what lies before us are small
matters compared to what lies within us". Many people could really learn something from that quote. True strength and beauty really come from within. Thanks so much.

The third square is this super bright pattern that reminds me of a buble gum machine, you know, the huge kind that as a child you always dreamed of having in your bedroom one day! The quote is about following your heart, wherever it takes you, to be happy cause life is brief and fragile... we know that all too well and have an incredible appreciation for that reality. The last line reminds me of my drive to work every morning through the mountain pass as the sun rises "Wake up every morning with the thought that something wonderful is about to happen". Not that it's the way I feel about the possibility of work, rather, the drive to work is incredibly gorgeous and each morning I enjoy the beauty. Thanks!


The last square for this post is from a wonderful person who I've recently gotten to know much better, we've traded many an email on the ups and downs of life, on the difficulties of adoption and how hard it can be to connect online with people on one hand and how easy it can be with others. Many of those "others" we've connected with have been ALT's. I hope one day to be close friends with many of them. They sent us this cool "shades of the earth" (what I call it!) and a quote from Shel Silverstein about never listening to the impossibles and to realize that ANYTHING in life can happen. We agree and wish the same for Magpie.

Like so many of our wishes through this process, if we combined them into a book, they would give incredible insight, thoughfulness and would tell the story of all the things we wish for Magpie to know, feel, think and believe. Now that's an idea for a book... hmmm.

6 comments:

Cavatica said...

I recognize those squishes. Beautiful!

Joelle and Chandler said...

I am looking at all these awesome squishes and now I am very jealous that I did not participate. Forget that I know for a fact that a quilt would never get made, I think I made a big mistake and missed out on a really special exchange. hmmmmmmm

Anonymous said...

Shades of the earth is a good name for it!

I'm so glad to have gotten the opportunity to get to know you through this!

Nikki said...

Very beautiful!
I think it is so great what you are all doing...I didn't even own a computer when I was going thru our adoption process, so I missed out on all this wonderful stuff!

Anonymous said...

Did our love make it to you? It was mailed a few weeks ago.

Karen said...

Love the quilt squares! I have tagged you by the way. Go to my blog to see your tag!