Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Deep thoughts

I heard a quote last night on NPR on the drive home last night. It was about the depth to which people can, and should, grieve the loss of a loved one

"It is only through deep complete embracement of grief that one acknowledges overwhleming joy. Without that grief, you shortchange the joy that once existed, never completely being able to release the pain entirely"

I think that quote says exactly what I've thought all this time since Sophia died. The people who thought we grieved too much for this child we never got to know had it all wrong. We grieved so deeply to honor how great our joy was over her future in our life. I miss Sophia greatly, I know E still does too, but our grief no longer consumes us, rather it is like a whisper on the wind, only those who listen closely can hear it.

This post honors all the people who've lost a joy so great in their lives they likely grieved more deeply than the average person could comprehend.

3 comments:

Joelle and Chandler said...

Thank you for this.

Anonymous said...

Very well said--thank you for posting it.

Nikki said...

Gosh, that was so beautifully said.
I am so very sorry for the loss of your first daughter...