I wasn’t sure I’d ever do a post on the topic Pain Olympics, one I’ve seen on other people’s blogs over the last year. But here I am doing one.
Sometimes when it’s “that time of the month”, no not that one, the Other One (referral time) people in the Adoption community get, well, they get pretty damn nasty to each other. It’s a phenomena that truly brings out the absolute worst in people and it can suck others into it like a black hole.
When referrals come out, or are just about to come out, the claws, daggers, spears, well they all come out too. And anyone who is not getting their referral is subject to the possibility that they might just succumb to the emotional carnage that can occur. It starts with innocent enough venting of frustration, especially those on the cusp of a referral and likely to miss by a few days or even a week, it then steamrolls from the frustration of those who technically should have gotten their referral but didn't, skipped over for reasons that would come clear in the days to follow. And then the nastiness hits the height of all unreasonableness when someone pulls a trump card and says their pain is greater than all others pain, and that no one, but no one, could possibly understand.
What?
BS.
First and foremost, those who get skipped, or fall on the cusp, I say let them rant, let them rave, and let’s make damn sure we support them. Not with all that “God has a plan for you”, “Hang in there”, “you’ll forget all this pain when the wait is over” crap. No, let’s support them with some action, “if you need to vent, call me”, “I’m so sorry, can I do anything”, “hey, Ben and Jerry’s on me” or perhaps even “It’s happy hour somewhere, I’m buying”. On the ALT board, our response to a very crappy referral period was to plan a get together, that's one way to make it better.
Secondly, everyone has the potential to understand things, sure, in some cases it may take extreme imagination, in others, one just has to conjure up a memory from your past that dragged you kicking and screaming into the abyss of pain, of emotion so raw you thought surely it was a nightmare, or perhaps just a plain and simple loss that is so common as we ALL move through life. It is NOT that hard to find compassion, to find sympathy, sure, empathy is harder to come by, I agree. But to think no one could possibly understand your pain? You just closed the door to any support you might have gotten and you are also foolish.
When we lost Sophia, a LOT of people understood, and I can tell you not ONE PERSON, until I met 2 women online named Sarah and Jen had a carried a child into the third trimester only to have it die on Thursday and deliver it Friday, but as for compassion and sympathy, those that chose to did a great job, amazing huh? Compassion without having lived our pain? Folks, it is possible.
Lastly, even a crappy as hell referral period, which this one looks to be shaping into with likely only TWO DAYS of LID’s (rumor) is NO REASON to attempt a game of “Pain Olympics”.
You know, Pain Olympics, my pain is worse than your pain … there is no good to come from it. You had a miscarriage, the next person had 2. You had 5 miscarriages, the next person had 11, you tried to conceive for 5 years, hey, that lady tried for 12. Your fallopian tubes went to shit before you ever tried to conceive, and so on and so on. Then there’s the crappy one of “hey, you have a kid, shut up what are you complaining about?”. Nice.
Sure, do I envy those already having a child but waiting for their second, yeah, but does that mean they can’t offer me support or someone else support? Does that mean they haven’t been there done that? Oh yeah, they only waited 12 months, JUST 12 months. Couldn’t possibly be that perhaps in their lifetime they might have beat the pants off of you in the 100 meter dash in the Pain Olympics and that yes, perhaps, they have suffered more than you even though they either a.) already have a child or b.) didn’t wait as long as you? For those of us Logged in during early 2006, we likely have 24 months, does that mean those who only took 18 months can’t understand our pain? What about those logged in just now, surely us 24 month wait-ers couldn’t possibly understand their pain if waits get longer.
Enough with the pain Olympics.
Waiting is hard. Life is hard. This wasn’t what any of us thought it would be when we signed on. Those days are over and you can’t even see them in the horizon. Do I like the fact we likely have 12 more months to go? NO. Sure, some months are harder than others, sometimes it gets us down thinking about it, but the pain Olympics is no way to provide each other support, put the relay baton down and hand it off to someone outside the adoption community.
When you do that, your hand is then free to offer your fellow adopter all the support they need, regardless of the different path they took to get there.
16 comments:
Bravo!
Well said. Very well said.
A very important and necessary post. I think it can be used for everyone, no matter what pain they are going through. People try to "top each other" with illnesses/surgeries/family problems/etc, instead of just giving complete and selfless support.
Makes me so glad to have found you and the other ALTS and blogger friends to share support with.
Isn't the first Noble Truth in Buddhism that all beings suffer? As for the Pain Olympics, I choose not to participate nor spectate - what a waste of time.
Such a wonderful and important post. I just wish I could somehow link it to the RQ site. Your profound observations say so much. While I have been a bit on edge this week, on a down hill of this rollercoaster ride, I have experienced that great support that you speak of. I hope to do the same for you and others for the many hills to come. Just don't plan to turn riding the roller coaster into an olympic event.
I've never heard of the term Pain Olympics, but I know what you are talking about. I'm glad that I haven't seen too much of it - but I may be avoiding the places where it is happening.
Something that similarly bothers me is when you may be seeking empathy from someone & their response is to tell you about someone else who had it worse. It totally invalidates ones feelings...and, really only provides cold comfort, IMO.
Great post! Yours is the one of the first I read that not only talks about how pointless the Pain Olympics are, but takes it a step further to how important it is to be there for one another.
Wow -- your topics and writing are simply amazing. I think it's so sad that people can be competitive with something as personal as pain and feelings. You really did as good job writing about this issue.
"Waiting is hard. Life is hard. . ." that about sums it up.
I love that term 'pain olympics' - isn't that how it is too often? Exasperating! . . . and what kind of trophy should the 'winner' get anyway??
I could not agree more with what you have said!
I applaud you on this wonderful post. We are all waiting and experience pain. Thanks for writing this.
Keep smilin!
very well said
"everyone has the capacity to understand"
I think so too....
As always you have put inot words what so many of us are feeling and/or thinking. The bullshit that occurs on some sites has become a real turn off. We all have our own brands of pain and the best that any of us can do is to support each other and to deal with it the best that we can. I am so thankful for having you and the rest of the fantastic ALTS to lean on during my rough times. You all are my rocks of strength.
Very well said. I've read thoughts on the pain olympics in the past and it was good to have that concept revisited.
I may be one to moan briefly now and then but never is my 'woe is me because I've got it worse than you' That really does solve nothing. This wait sucks for each and every one of us.
What an insightful post. I had never heard of the pain olympics, and I'm glad -- me no likey.
The person who helped me the most when I was going thru the "pain of waiting" was my sister (AKA Miss. Fertile Mertle with 3 kids and not a care in the world.) It didn't matter. She loved me, listened to me and waited with me. It helped!
As always you are able to hit the nail right on the head! As a Mom of 2 kids I sometimes feel like it isn't fair that I get pissed about the wait...but you know we are missing a litle girl, a sister, a daughter. and well it sucks but we will wait.She is worth it!
Great Post!!
maryellen
Fantastic Post! You gave me a good laugh! Its so true what you say though especially about the "pain olympics"
Our Website
Post a Comment