Saturday, May 12, 2007

A Poem

Mother, by Marilyn Van Winkle

A peppermint carnation is what I'll wear for Mother's Day this year . . .
A delicate flower and symbol of love for you, my baby, dear.
The red for living, the white for death, the blend of pink for "always loved,"
A fragrance of remembrance of your life, now up above.

I'll carry your memory on my lapel, my treasured, first-born child
You were a very precious gift, so small, and meek, and mild.
And when this special day is over and the blossom has faded away,
I'll continue to wear the name "Mother," your priceless gift to me, always.


I'll always wonder how long Sophia would have had to live for the people in our lives to consider us a mother and father. A day? A week? A year? What would it have taken to earn the title of Mom and Dad? This is a question that continues to circle my thoughts, especially prominent on Mother's and Father's Day.

There are people in our life who don't say a word to us on Mother's or Father's Day. I've heard they don't say anything because they think we don't want to be reminded of the daughter we gave birth to who didn't make it. Silence seems to be a plentiful comfort. The legacy of silence that surrounds the loss of a child continues to propagate on special days.

The ironic thing? It's not as if you can forget giving birth to a child, in fact it lingers often, daily, weekly, it lingers often to fill the space of dreams that will never be.

For those concerned about reminding a loved one of their loss on Mother's or Father's Day, don't worry about that, it's not like they've forgotten. Worry more about how to honor them for the parents they once were.

To my friends and family, wishing you a peaceful mother's day.

To Sophia, I wish we could have saved you.

To Magpie, you are always in our thoughts and we long for the day you enter our lives.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your phrase, "Peaceful Mother's Day," to all of those who might not be feeling exactly happy. I hope your day is a meaningful one and I hope you don't mind me using your phrase for all of my 'waiting' friends.

TBG Happenings said...

A peaceful mothers day to you....

I guess it is on these special days are thoughts are of those we have lost or for those for who we wait.

-maryellen

wzgirl said...

Happy Mother's Day, LB. Hugs, you. xo

Samantha said...

Happy Mothers Day!

Anonymous said...

Wishing you a peaceful mothers' day as well. Thinking of you today.

comingaroundagain said...

I thought of you this Mother's Day (before it even arrived). . . You are still a mother even after your child dies. You are Sophie's mom and you will be Magpie's mom soon.

Anne Marie said...

Wishing you a peaceful Mother's Day. Thinking of you, Sophia and Magpie.

Mary said...

Happy Mother's Day!!!

Enjoy your day!

comingaroundagain said...

I know I already commented but I wanted to say that I love the poem by Van Winkle! I've never read/heard that one.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading these posts in reverse order, so just commented on your Mother'd Day post before seeing this one. I know you will always think about Sophia, especially on special days like Mother's day. No matter how much joy Magpie will bring, I know your heart will alway feel a little heavy as you remember Sophia and wonder about what could have been. May you continue to find ways to honor her memory and find some peace in your heart.

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day. I can't even begin to understand how someone wouldn't consider you or E parents. To me, you've been through the most difficult thing a parent could possibly go through AND you've chosen to share your journey, which can be so helpful to others. And you are wonderful parents to Magpie too. You've set up this site, which takes a heck of a lot of time and energy and she will be able to read it some day. I think that's beautiful.

"M2" said...

I too read and commented in reverse order.
I so admire your strength. My heart goes out to you on Mother's day.