When she first showed it to us I was in awe, pretty close to tears... for her kindness, her effort (this was an incredibly hard and long pattern to work on and it took a long time) and for her desire to make sure that she gets to meet Magpie, something she's said many a time. I not only hope she gets to meet Magpie, I hope Magpie gets to know her. There's something about Grandparents and greatgrandparents, something magical, when you skip a generation the relationship becomes sweeter, kinder, more incredible. It was this way with my Nana and I'm sure it will be that way for magpie too.
There is one last very special blanket/quilt (ok, besides the one we'll make) that will arrive one day. My Aunt Joann wanted children so badly and she attempted for years, all of them ending tragically as she was a severe diabetic, on insulin since her early childhood. She was never able to carry a child to term, I can relate to that, but she had a quilt she either started or bought the kit for. When Joann died, very young, my mother took the quilt/kit home with her and as I understand it, she has finished it. Though for years I always envisioned my mom and I selecting a pattern together and her making it, I was deeply touched when I heard she had this quilt.
It no longer matters to me the pattern, the style, the colors, all that matters is the connection. People who know me best know how deeply sentimental I am.
2 comments:
Awe very sweet! Those handmade blankets mean more than the world! They just have so much significance.
That is awesome. I have seen people knit but that is something else. Very cool.
Post a Comment