Travel back with me in time, oh say, late late March 2004. After a mere 2 years(though silly me it seemed like a lifetime passed in those 2 years) we ended our first ride on the infertility roller coaster. We were on a forced break from the fertility center as the Hospital/practice we were patients of went 'on holiday' from mid November to the end of December each year. We did a few 'cycles' with them prior to that and then were on hold when we didn't get pregnant.
While on that break I got pregnant, but we didn't know for some time, we were nearly 3 years into 'trying' and well lots of help from science. I have always believed that what happened early on in that pregnancy sealed the fate over the next 18 weeks. Just a few weeks pregnant, (still unknown) I had some freak of nature back/neck debilitating injury (literally I could barely move without knife plunging style pain) over the holidays (we had loads of people at the house and it happened just before the Turkey dinner started, perfect, I managed yet again to get out of cooking). After dinner and much pain, we excused ourselves and went to the hospital.
They asked me the obligatory question "are you pregnant". Of course I replied with all the typical fertility treated wind knocked out of me, iced on top with sarcasm "not a chance in hell but we should check". My advice to each of you out there facing some serious medicines and chest, abdomen and spine x-rays... get the blood test, don't pee in a cup. Our test turned up negative, they went ahead with all the xrays and loaded me up with some serious narcotics.
Just 2 weeks later I found out I was pregnant. To say I was raging with sorrow and joy was an understatement. The doctor's were filled with a lot of angst and worry, they of course tried to hide it, but you can see it in the interns and younger residents who were part of the teaching hospital. I got the "don't worry" lecture. I got the "no, it's not good news that you were on all those medicine's and had all the xrays, we need to wait and see" and finally the "well, if somethings going to go wrong it likely already would have". I tried to find comfort but it weighed on me and I had my concerns about it all.
At week 18 we lost the baby, a little boy..., let's just say there were some serious "problems". I won't go into the crappy details about what happened, but based on what we found out I have always believed that time in the emergency room sealed our fate. Please, no comments to the contrary, I'm not beating myself up over it, I no longer feel the huge weight I did for a long time on my shoulders, I didn't know the pee test could be so much less sensitive than the bloodwork in those early weeks.
So where does the OMD come in?
E and I had been talking about getting a second dog on and off in our earlier marriage years. While pregnant we really started talking about it and researching breeders. While waiting for the following week for the surgery to finalize what nature had already decided for us, we decided to get a dog. In fact, we met and brought home Zane just 2 days after I got the news while undergoing a routine screening. We poured ourselves into that decision as if our lives depended on it, perhaps to pull us through it all.
Out of our lives went our first child, a boy, and in walked our OMD.
Zane filled a hole so deep in our lives that most people, even those closest to us didn't realize or understand it's depths then or now.
Fast forward a few years to when we returned from our midnight expedition when we found out Sophia had died that night... on the way home E turned to me and said "does this mean we're getting another dog?" If I had the ability to smile or laugh at that point, the irony would have allowed me to. He described in an instant all Zane had been for us and all we would be going through in days and months to come.
This time however, no dog could make a dent in the chasm in our hearts and souls.
It wasn't until this year, when I saw the term in another blog (perhaps Uterine Wars?) that I recognized Zane for what she marked in our life years earlier.
She was and is our Obligatory Miscarriage Dog. Once you hear the term you can spot these pets in other people's lives, I read certain blogs and know certain people's stories in our own lives and well... I see OMD's everywhere, sometimes they aren't dogs but cats, but they are very real reminders of the trauma that life is sometimes and our attempt to just stay afloat.
And pleeeeeaaaaase, for those reading who think I'm making light of miscarriage and our loss, you have no idea the depths to which we still mourn and still have holes in ourselves over those years of war on fertility. It's just that I finally recognize how Zane came to our life, why and quite frankly why she was so sheltered by us and likely crazed... those times were tough on all.
So the term OMD... I can't claim it as my own, but it rings true.
12 comments:
I don't have an OMD but mine is close to that. After I was injured fighting a fire and told that I could no longer be a firefighter or have children because of the injury, I got my first dog Chief. She filled an empty place and brought a lot of joy to my pain. So while she isn't quite an OMD I definitely understand the concept.
The picture of you and Zane is just about the sweetest puppy picture I have ever seen, and I now I totally understand the term. I've been wondering if my yearning to find another puppy is in part a result of all this adoption frustration. I guess partly it is.
Thanks for sharing that very touching story. Hugs...
I understand completely!! My dh and I lost our twin boys at 21 1/2 weeks on 4/25/04. We had 2 cats then but a year later out 3rd cat came into our life and she has helped me heal. Like you said, there will always be those holes in you heart but these animals sure make them feel somewhat better. After many years of infertility treaments we also are adopting from China - LID 4/17/07. Ironic that our LID is almost 3 years to the date later from the date we lost the boys.
Thank you for sharing your heart...
Take care,
Jennifer S.
Such beautiful but also powerful words. During our infertilty roller coaster we actuallly had to say goodbye to our fur baby and although he was willing to bring a new fur baby into our lives despite his allergy, I just couldn't bear the idea of falling in love with another baby that would leave us all too soon. The more I read the more I come to know you more and to better understand the person everything you have been through has made you. You are truly special people and we fell very blessed to call you our friend. Much love.
Thanks for such a beautiful post. Animals do make a difference. They are so incredibly special and touch our lives in ways that are hard to put into words. I have to say you did a good job writing about Zane's impact.
That is the most adorable picture! I don't know if I can show it to Mark, because it will make him want to get a dog right now. We're waiting until our daughter gets a little bigger. Mark and I still mourn the loss of his dog (and eventually mine too), Rusty. He was very special.
Oh Lisa, you seem to capture so many things that I feel and can't express. I didn't expect OMD to mean what it was, but when I read that it made me cry, because my sweet little dog is my OMD. I have been loving this little dog since my miscarraige. I still refer to him as "my hairy son". It does fill a hole in your soul and when they cuddle up next to you and give you that unconditional love it heals the hurt. I have been fighting the urge to get another dog but I am definitely weakening.
Thanks for such a beautiful post!
Kathryn
So sad; so beautiful. Zane is a beautiful OMD and you're lucky to have each other. Thanks for telling the story.
I can honestly say that I have never have been in the situation you were in nor I don't think I would want to experience it but I do believe that animals come into your life for a reason... though when I needed 'someone' (not through miscarriages or anything but other reasons) my cat Garfield (yeah, very original but I was 14 at the time) and he was always there for me but when I was about to come over to the US I had to send him to the cat box in the sky... he got to sick with arthritis and he was 19... but he was always there regardless... love your story and love your dog...
That picture of Zane on your lap is the sweetest thing I've seen in a long time. Those little puppy paws with the pink pads, those little eyes squeezed tightly shut......
Loved this post.
We had rory and the guilt we feel because we can't have her at the house full time overwhelms Conor and i some times. We know it is best for her but she came into our lives when we couldn't get pregnant and we love her so much. it is too bad she is a biter.
Cause she was our hope!
I just want you to get your kid
Post a Comment