On NPR many months ago, at Thanksgiving time, I heard a story on NPR regarding a series of interviews that a photographer held with 50 famous cooks all over the world. She wrote a book called My Last Supper detailing the various choices of the people she spoke with. While I was watching the Ultimate Recipe Showdown (Mac and cheese, holy crap I'm trying the recipes), I remembered this news story.
The photographers name was Melanie Dunea and I think this book is an awesome gift idea for anyone who loves cooking and just loves life.
The questions she asked everyone?
Who would cook the meal?
What would you serve for your last meal?
Who would you invite? (alive or dead)
Where would it take place?
What music would play in the background?
What drink would you serve?
For instance, Mario Batali were to die tomorrow, he would serve a 10-course meal at a small trattoria on the Amalfi coast including the Neapolitan version of a grilled cheese sandwich, R.E.M. would play live with U2, Anthony Bourdain would be among the guests, and they would cap the meal with "a sea of icy limoncello."
What would be my last supper?
For appetizers, an assortment of Crab dip, chicken lettuce rolls, mozzarella/tomatoes and Crab Pretzels.
For a soup, lobster bisque or Strawberry soup (from our Honeymoon)
Lobster, the quails my mom did one year at Christmas and mini Grilled ham/cheese
Fresh steamed broccoli, carrots and french cut green beans, with a hint of cheese and garlic.
Twice baked stuffed mashed potatoes
My mom's bread/rolls, warm, with lots of garlic butter
Summer strawberries from Belgium
For dessert, an assortment:
Vaccaro's Cannoli's from Little Italy in Baltimore
Chocolates from from this to die for place called Holl's, also chocolates fresh from Belgium.
Our wedding cake all over again.
Music -odd assortment, but Billy Joel, Beethoven and for my husband the Beatles (they could all eat with us too)
Who would cook? Obviously not me!
We'd drink an assortment of wines, Gewurztraminer, a wonderful red, a delicious champagne and a great Riesling.
Who'd be there? My husband, Magpie, Sophia, boy would they have lots to share, my closest family/friends, Marie Curie, Princess Grace, Joan of Arc, someone to tell how the pyramids and Stonehenge really were made, Helen Hunt, Sean Connery, Anne Frank. And of course, little dinner plates for the dogs.
Where? On a cliff/hillside, near sunset, overlooking Lake Como in Italy
How about you?
3 comments:
Very Cool, I want an invite!!!
Lobster/ Filet Mignon/Tomato/Mozzarella Salad/ Spinach and Filo dough (made by my Mom). That is all I have for now! Oh probably french fries as well the homemade wedges with sour cream. Now I must eat all of these things soon just in case! :)
We have Baked Ziti leftovers I made 3 trays.
I'm picking up on a butter & cheese theme. (wink) Gotta try those pretzels some time, I think that Aimee or Cavatica talked about them in the past...
Yummm.... Vaccarro's the best cannoli...I could not even find one in Italy that compared. Nice assortment of wines and music. Your family and friends would make it an AMAZING night!
Post a Comment