Over the years, growing up, through college and through my career I've had the chance to live many places, mainly on the east coast. Just a few of them I can call home, with any semblance of the word home that is.
It's through the moving, the changes, the scenery, the friendships, that I've learned home can be anywhere you live. It could have you surrounded by tons of family, or by a family you create.
I learned this in WV, spending nearly 7 years there and carving out an incredible community in a place I never planned to spend more than a year in. It's the last place I lived before meeting and marrying E, packing up and leaving wasn't so much about the home I lived in, but the community, the friends and the family I created being left behind. Few understand the sacrifice that was that move.
I learned about the essence of home, or what not having a sense of home/community does, when we lived in Maryland. It took us nearly 3 years to clear the decks of all that Maryland wasn't (me missing all I had before and E missing the only part of the country his family really ever called home) and to open our hearts to all the state had to offer. We were fools to allow all of that to hinder what lay before us. When we left Maryland, we left so much behind. We were late bloomers in opening our heart to the state and the area, but man did it leave a dent when we moved to New England.
Business brought me back to The Bay area for a little over 24 hours, but man did it leave me pensive thinking about how much we both miss the area.
Home, is everything you make of it and truly the best part about home is feeling 'at home', it's one of the few things in life you can have control over. Here's to wherever life takes you and here's to understanding that home can be anywhere you open your mind to, it's the close mindedness in so many people that hinders that 'at home' kind of feeling.
Here's to Magpie always having a sense of wonder and curiosity about the world and to finding that home is the magic you create or let into your life.
5 comments:
Thank you for this beautiful post. I truly believe that no matter where you live, if you aren't surrounded by those you love and those who love you, you're never home. Enjoy the mini trip but hurry back to E and the puppies soon.
Sae flying!
That was beautifully said....
And that Zane is gorgeous.
Love and blessings, Kristy
Sweet and so true! I wish the same for Lil.
You know, that post hit "home" with me. I'm struggling. We keep kicking around the idea of moving; buying a newer home or stay here (in my old homestead of 30 years...) and making some necessary, but boring, improvements. Its a tough call, but you're right - I need to be more open-minded about this decision. I've been asking for a sign...maybe this post was it.
Thank you.
I find that when I am in Australia... I start to miss the little town I live in here in FL... then I get homesick for my hometown in Australia and want to leave here... that is what happens when you have people you love in both towns...
Post a Comment