Recently I was travelling for business out of town, a 3 day training course in another state. Every time we had a brief break or needed to transfer to the alternate subteam rooms all I could hear was the music in the background.
I continue, throughout life, to be fascinated by the ability of a song, a tune, a line, to instantly transport you back in time. Maybe back a few years (like everytime we hear our wedding songs, any of them set up as special dances -we dance), or back decades.
The hotel tunes? 70's. DEFINITELY 70's.
Most of my colleagues are older, but honestly, not by much. We'd joke about the tunes, at one point me saying to someone, that's from the Xanadu era. He said (thinking I was picking on the movie) "hey now, wait a minute", until I mentioned I really loved that movie. It's crazy, whacked out plot and very well woven songtracks.
we can remember the first album we bought, or that was bought for us, we can flash to an instant of our mom's humming a song as we curled up on their lap... and yet... I travel so much at times, we've moved so much, that I have a hard time as a plane is taking off remembering which airport I'm at.
Ironic.
As for your first record album, and YES, I do mean vinyl, what was yours?
Mine?
K-tel (I think that's how it's spelled). Yup, a compilation of hits at the time was my first album. I played that album over and over... A little Rupert Holmes (pina colada anyone?), Abba, KC and the Sunshine Band...
I cannot wait to see what music Magpie finds comfort and memories with.
5 comments:
Bay City Rollers "I only want to be with you"
The Monkees 1st album. Yup, I'm old!!!!!!!
I'm not sure what my first album was and I'm betting that I dont' still ahve it because one of my younger sisters would have ruined it but those artists and songs bring back a flood of memories.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
We had tons of vinyl at our house while I was growing up. Constantly spinning were the likes of:
The Beatles Greatest Hits Vol. 1
Styx: The Grand Illusion
Boston's Greatest Hits
and Ronco Records "Dumb Ditties"
My first 45 records bought at a 3 for $5 sale were:
Styx: Mr. Roboto
Michael Jackson: Beat It
Bryan Adams: Straight From the Heart
My first 12 inch vinyl bought with my own money:
Prince & the Revolution's Purple Rain
The first album I remember buying was the soundtrack to Grease. The first albums I bought where I could actually play them on my own stereo (as opposed to my parents' or my sister's stereos) were Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits and Sting, Dream of the Blue Turtles (purchased together, odd combo).
Post a Comment