Over the course of the last few years, I've written quite a few posts about something personal, something touching and in the end, they normally closed with something like "I wish for all of us... " or "My wish for Magpie... "
That's what most of this blog is all about. It's about life, it's about the moments you never forget or never want to forget, it's about pausing in the midst of life and finding meaning and joy. Each Monday I hope to revisit one of those posts from the past, or create a new wish for Magpie.
*****************
We'll get together soon/this month
I'll call you tonight.
I'll help you when you need to ________
Next year we'll __________
I promise...
To some people Magpie the phrases above are as unimportant as what kind of stuffing is in their carseat, and that's okay, we're all different. But to others, these words have meaning, have depth, have importance. And to those people in the latter group, well, they will take you at your word.
The problem in life with communicating is that people forget the very basic rule of it. When you want someone to understand you, use the words, phrases and style they can hear. It doesn't matter what you think they should think or hear, in the end communication is all about giving information to another person in a way they can receive it.
So Mapgie, remember, the person who you want to communicate with may just take you at your word, literally. So use caution and if you aren't sure of your ability or desire to 'follow through', just use phrases like maybe, it's may make a world of difference. It's no big deal not to be able to commit to everything... as long as the other person realizes it too.
In the end, you never really know who will take you at your word and who won't, until it's too late. It's just much easier to mean what you say, and to really, truly, say what you mean. Period. Magpie, I hope the people who let you down in life are minimal and those who realize they can count on you for anything are innumerous.
Take care with your words, the value others place on them may be higher than you place on them.
(Me? Well, everyone likely knows I'm in the latter group. I reach the point of 'yeah, right, whatever' mentally going through my head especially when I hear the certain things. It's sort of comical now. So Magpie, find humor in those types of situations, but humor may be all you have when someone lets you down!)
No comments:
Post a Comment