I've said more than once that I am very thankful for growing up in the neighborhood I did. So close, so supportive, so friendly. I still use it at the benchmark of the neighbors that have come since.
Though I've had some great neighbors, mainly in WV, I am amazed by the wonderful luck and good fortune I've come upon in my life with neighbors currently.
I have no idea how I will continue to afford the house (25% paycut due to the layoff and new job), but I need to try with all my heart. I have the most incredible neighbors in the world. I went to dinner over there tonight, a weekly (or so) event. And in the midst, of course we talked about Magpie and the timeline, which seems to be accelerating and frightening but exciting.
They know how difficult it will be to take time off work. They know how strapped I am financially after so many years in great shape. And out of my neighbors mouth came... "I don't know what the timing will be but I"m off for 2 weeks in the summer and 2 week in the fall (or there abouts) and I would gladly take care of her while I'm off".
Seriously? I never asked, never mentioned, never even hem'd and haw'd about it. She just offered. I was amazed and overwhelemed with appreciation. Right now I can't talk at work about it, it's not public, no one knows. And the oulets I have to share where I am are few and far between, so being at the neighbors and talking about it can be overwhelming.
Am I that fortunate with the people around me? That someone I've known a year would offer this kind of support? I give thanks, at a minimum, every week for my good luck. It's why I try everytime I think of my finances to figure out how to stay in the house I'm in.
The lake overflows with peace and beauty. My neighbors are finally as good as the ones I grew up with. And I feel like I'm at home, finally, once again. The last 2 times I felt like this? Maryland in the early 2000's and where I grew up.
I am eternally grateful and lucky. I can only hope that Magpie gets to share my good fortune.
2 comments:
How wonderful to have connected with great people. I hope you will work everything out, because they seem like the type of folks you want to have a round as a single mom. I started out this process with no cc debt. I make it work by putting daycare on a cc and do the shuffle moving to lowest interest rate cards. Totally stinks, and not the greatest financial move, but it's all I have and it is working. I wouldn't trade it for the word. So, I'll have debt! You will figure it out, even if it means a different relationship with money for a while.
Good neighbors are a blessing. Financially, I truly hope you can make this house work. The pictures I've seen of the lake are truly breathtaking. I'm sure it's tough...to say 'hang in there' seems like an understatement.
Post a Comment